FRONT DESK / GUEST SERVICES
We are currently receiving applications for this position. The position begins in May 2020.
How to apply for the position
Our preferred way to receive an application for this position is for the candidate to email the inn’s manager, Marieke Gow firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide an introduction of yourself and attach a resume describing your educational background, work and volunteer experience and any additional details you feel are essential for us to know. You may also call Marieke 1-709-740-3031, to set up a time to drop off a resume in person. References do not need to be provided with the initial resume, however, two will be required if we proceed further with the application process. Those considering the position, who require further details before formally applying are welcome to email Marieke with questions.
Guest Services: By phone, online & in person
- Helping guests reserve the best room or vacation home for their needs
- Describing dinner options to clients and communicating required menu modifications to kitchen staff
- Processing guest information
- Providing destination orientation and itinerary planning services
- Walking guests to and throughout their rental properties (some rental properties are further away from the inn and require driving short distances)
Dining Room Services
- Assisting dining room staff with welcoming dinner guests
- Providing drink service and turn over service during busy evenings in the dining room
- Entering purchase receipts and sales receipts into Simply Accounting
- Organizing daily sales batches and reports
Print Media & Social Media content creation and management
- Create written content and format promotional social media posts
- Format materials for in house use including itineraries, instruction guides & menus
The employee will perform tasks using the following programs
- Google Docs, Google Sheets, Excel, Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- Simply Accounting
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Google Business Listings
- Touch Bistro
- Central Reservation System
Our front desk position requires a candidate who can multitask and serve many guests at once while keeping calm under pressure, even when the hotel is very busy. The employee should be able to judge a variety of tasks while remaining friendly to customers. The chosen candidate for this position should demonstrate:
- The ability to multitask
- Flexibility to accommodate members of their team
- A professional appearance
- The ability to manage stress
Our front desk employees work just as often with colleagues as with guests. Sometimes, they have to work with other office staff to handle a difficult situation, other times, they have to communicate with different departments in the inn including housekeeping staff, dining room staff, kitchen staff, and maintenance staff to ensure that guests are satisfied with their stay. Front desk employees should be able to get along and work with various people.
Our choice in candidate and the duration of the position (whether or not it will continue into future seasons) will be influenced by the candidate’s ability to demonstrate initiative. The goal of this position is to have a team member able to manage day-to-day guest interactions, office administration and social media, in order to allow the inn’s owner and management team to focus on general business operations.
The workstation for this employee is located in the main office on the second floor of the Twine Loft. The applicant should be comfortable with long hours at a computer station. The position requires a high energy individual. They must have the ability to climb and descend stairs in the Twine Loft many times a day and walk guests (or drive depending on the distance of the building) to their selected accommodation and walk guests throughout the buildings. There can be up to 13 check-ins a day. Guests may require assistance with bringing their luggage to their rooms. During dinner service, this employee must help with the speedy resetting of the dining room and deliver drinks to guests on the front deck.
Position Duration: Seasonal, beginning in May, ending late October (hours in May and October will be between part-time and full-time, hours in June through September will be full-time). This position is for the 2020 season with the potential of continuation in future seasons.
Schedule: Either 5 or 6 days per week during the regular season (June – September). Shifts predominantly take place between 12pm – 8pm.
Wage: This is dependent on the number and level of required skills the applicant possesses during the time of application and can be discussed once we have seen the candidate’s resume and we can assess the amount of in-house training required. This position will also offer the opportunity to earn a certain percentage of dining room gratuities, depending on the level of assistance the employee provides to the team.
Housing: If a candidate is applying from outside the region, it is their own responsibility to secure housing.
Transportation: Candidates must have a valid driver’s license and are responsible for their own transportation to and from work.