WEATHER IN TRINITY
Originally from Poole, in Dorset, England, the Greens can trace their roots in Trinity to before 1750.
For 200 years after that, until 1955, six generations of Greens were blacksmiths. In 1990 Ada Nemec, daughter of Andrew Green, the last blacksmith in the family who closed the business in 1955 donated to the Trinity Historical Society the building and its contents. Among the over 1,500 artefacts were numerous items from the schooner fishery as well as tools of the trade that had been used in the family operation.
The current building dates from 1895-1900 and is the third forge to have been built on the site. It is of an unusual size (30' x 50') with a second storey in the front. The building was restored in 1990 - 1991 and was reopened as a museum. In 1999 it became operational once again with a blacksmith. The forge is a Registered Heritage Structure, designated by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador and in 1998 received the Southcott Award from the Newfoundland Historic Trust for the restoration of the building. Most recently the forge was recognized by the Historic Sites Association of Newfoundland and Labrador with the Manning Award for its restoration work. Wade Ivany, our blacksmith, hand crafts a variety of items for sale at the forge from his own ideas to those of a more traditional design. The list of products has grown over the years to include three types of letter openers, coat hooks, fireplace pokers, planters, candle chandeliers and pot racks. Products are available for sale at the Forge, the Trinity Historical Society and at the Newfoundland and Labrador Craft Council’s Shop at Devon House, 59 Duckworth St. St. John’s, NL