Proud sponsors of
Named as a place to stay by
& National Geographic
WEATHER IN TRINITY
Entry Point: Trail located off Route 235 in King's Cove. Proceed to Church parking lot.
Inside Loop - 1.7 km
Outside Loop - 3.5km
Inside Loop - 35 minutes
Outside Loop 60 minutes
Inside Loop - Easy,
Outside Loop - Moderate
Distance From Trinity: approx 1 hour. Do not take Route 236.
The Geology of the area consists of 540 million year old Cambrian sedimentary rocks. Red and green slate is very predominating with layering occurring horizontal, vertical and diagonal. Fish Point Lookout and Brook Path offer superb geological sequences and coastal vistas.
The coastlines, jutting headlands and indented coves are the result of erosion (wave and frost wedging) acting on the weaker sedimentary rocks. Such coastal features as sea stacks, seas-arches and caves are typical of such a coastline.
The King’s Cove Lighthouse Trail is classed as a stacked loop. This provides the walker/hiker the option of completing the 1.7km inside loop or the 3.5km outside loop. Both trails are coastal to the lighthouse. The outside loop offers the hiker additional coastal viewing into Bonavista Bay and Brook Point then proceeds into the woods on a primitive trail leading back to the church. While returning via the inside loop walkers/hikers have the opportunity to walk along rock foundations while admiring spectacular coastal scenery in Blackhead Bay.
The lighthouse was built in 1893, after some fifty shipwrecks occurred in Bonavista Bay. It was constructed of pre-cast iron shipped from Birmingham, England. It was the first lighthouse in Newfoundland to be fitted with a revolving kerosene light system from Sweden and visible from 14 nautical miles. Since it had to be lit every night and extinguished each morning, Philip Batterton was hired as a light keeper, a position held for over 62 years by the Batterton family.
- This information has been provided by the Discovery Trail Tourism Association